Example of Nigerian Scam letter

March 20, 2005
Dear Friend,

It is with heartfelt hope that I write to seek your co-operation and 
assistance in the context stated below:
May I first introduce my self as Mrs. Mariam Abacha, the wife of Late 
General Sani Abacha (former military head of state and president of the 
Federal Republic of Nigeria) who died suddenly on 8th June 1998. 

 I came in contact with your particulars through a consultancy dairy [sic!] in 
which your particulars were recommended to my late husband for 
proposals, which was disorganized by the sudden death of my husband. Having 
noted the confidence reposed on your person by the sponsor of the 
recommendation, I became convinced of your capability and goodwill to assist me 
in receiving the sum of US$35 Million secretly willed in my favour by 
the late general (my husband).

This money is lodged in a Security Company in Europe. However, the 
current civilian administration of retired General Olusegun Obasanjo (the 
president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria) is seeking vengeance on 
the Abacha family because of the life prison jail sentence confirmed on 
him by my late husband. In pursuit of this vendetta, the present 
government have resolved to freeze all known assets of General Sani Abacha, 
including properties at home and abroad and are presently embarking on to 
seize the various bank accounts of my husband. In fact, the attack on 
our family (The Abacha's) is so devastated to an extent of seizing our 
traveling passport, family accounts and even trying some members of our 
family in court for offences allegedly committed by my late husband.

In view of this grievous threat to our Economic and personal survival, 
our family trustee have secretly protected the will, but seriously 
advised me to seek for a trustworthy foreigner, hence the reason why I 
have chosen you and hope that you will come to my full assistance and 
unlimited co-operation. In the meantime, there is a traveling embargo on us 
(the whole family members) and our local accounts have been seized. 

In view of this plight, I expect you to be trustworthy and kind enough 
to respond to this distressed call to save my family from a hopeless 
future. And we have agreed to compensate you and your candid efforts 
sincerely in this regard with 25% of the total
amount of 35 Million US Dollars. In that case, when the money ($35 
Million) is moved into your discrete account, you will be allowed to draw 
25% in your favour, while the remaining 75% will be invested 
meaningfully for my children's future. And in due course, all contacts must be 
made through me and no other person for now.
 
I look forward to your quick response while thanking you for your 
co-operation. In view of all above details, I request you to keep this 
letter and operation highly confidential.

Best wishes,

"Mrs. Mariam Abacha" <mariamabachafamily@fsmail.net>

N.B: IF IN DOUBT PLEASE VISIT THE BELOW LINKS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/613565.stm

http://www.search.eb.com/Blackhistory/article.do?nKeyValue=389478

http://www.globalpolicy.org/nations/launder/regions/2002/0523abacha.htm

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/nov2000/nige-n10_prn.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/366259.stm

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/2/hi/africa/4271245.stm

http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/bank/hba79943.000/hba79943_0.HTM
return to the Skeptic's Dictionary entry on the Nigerian scam